You will need:
1) 1 cup of rice (just washed and not soaked) )
2) 2 cups of shrimp
3) 1 onion thinly sliced, covered in flour and deep fried until well browned (be careful that you do not burn it)–once the onion slices are browned let them cool and then grind them (you can use a mortar and pestle) and add one cup of warm water to the mix, a pinch of ground cloves ,and a pinch of ground coriander.
4) one potato cut into the same size as the shrimp
5) few pods of cardamon (2-3 just cracked open)
6) 2 tsp of ground cumin
7) 1/2 tsp of black pepper
8) 2 tsp of ground coriander
9) 3 cloves of garlic finely minced
10) 3 tblsp of Olive Oil
11) salt to taste
12) one medium onion diced
13) 1 small tomato finely chopped
14) 1/2 tsp of tomato paste
15) salt to taste
Place a pot on medium heat, add Olive Oil and fry onions with just until it is golden brown. Add potatoes and cook for 1 minute. Add cumin, coriander, pepper and salt to the shrimp and mix well and add to the pot and cook until shrimp turns pink. Add the tomato and tomato paste and cook until the tomatoes have softened. Now, add the rice and pour the deep fried onion mix and add about 1/2 cup of water for the rice to cook. Taste the water, if it is not salty enough add more salt. Leave under low heat until the rice is cooked through.
Serve on a platter with this sauce:
Dice up a small tomato and put in a bowl, add 2 tblsp of tahini paste, with 2 tblsp of yoghurt, 1/4 cup of water, 1/4 cup of white vinegar, salt to taste. Mix well and enjoy with this dish.