You will love the taste of the deep fried onions that is the secret in this recipe. My husband loves this fish and rice dish with the tahini and yoghurt sauce.
You will need:
1) 1 cup of rice (just washed and not soaked) )
2) 2 7 oz. salmon steaks (you can really use any kind of fish that will hold up and not crumble or break)
3) 1 onion thinly sliced, covered in flour and deep fried until well browned (be careful that you do not burn it)–once the onion slices are browned let them cool and then grind them (you can use a mortar and pestle) and add one cup of warm water to the mix, a pinch of ground cloves and a pinch of ground coriander.
4) few cloves (2-3)
5) few pods of cardamon (2-3 just cracked open)
6) 2 tsp of ground cumin
7) 1/2 tsp of black pepper
8) 2 tsp of ground coriander
9) 3 cloves of garlic finely minced
10) 3 tblsp of Olive Oil
11) salt to taste
12) one medium onion diced
13) 1 small tomato finely chopped
14) 1/2 tsp of tomato paste
15) salt to taste
Cut the salmon steaks–each steak into three pieces. Mix inhalf of the cumin, coriander, black pepper, garlic and add salt to taste. Cover the steaks well. Place a pot on medium heat and add the Oilive Oil,and fry the fish just until it is well browned on each side (it does not need to be thorougly cooked through, it will cook with the rice as well). Take it out and put on a plate.
In the same oil (if you do not have any left after frying the fish add about 3 tblsp more). Fry the onions until golden brown with the garlic. Then add the rest of the spices, tomato, and the tomato paste. Let cook until the tomatoes have melted into the sauce.
Return the fish and layer onto the sauce in the pot. Add the rice and pourthe deep fried onion mix and add about 1/2 cup of water for the rice to cook. Gently mix with a spoon (GENTLY or else you will break the fish and your dish won’t look nice during presentation).
Cover and cook under low heat until all the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
Serve on a platter with this sauce:
Mix 2 tblsp of tahini paste, with 2 tblsp of yoghurt, 1/4 cup of water, 1/4 cup of white vinegar, salt to taste. Mix well and enjoy with this fish dish.