This is a fast and easy dish cooked in the oven for the most part. Serve with bread or rice. You will need:
1) 1 bag of frozen okra (about a pound) [I get mine from the Middle Eastern store because theirs are small and the tips has been peeled as if with a carving knife]
2) 1 lb of lamb, bone , cut into medium size pieces
3) 5tbls Olive oil
4) 1tsp of ground cumin
5) 1 cup chopped and peeled tomatoes
6) 4 tblsp of tomato paste
7) 1/cu of water
8 ) salt to taste
9) 1/8 of tsp freshly ground pepper
10) 3 tlsp of finely chopped cilantro
11) 1/2 tsp of chilly powder
12) medium sized onion diced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. In a pot under medium heat, add 2 tblsp of the oil. Once it heats up brown the meat on all sides. You do not want it to cook through, just browned on each side. Take out and place in a casserole dish. Reduce heat, and add the onion and fry until browned. Add the cumin, tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and water and stir well. Once it starts simmering turn off and add on top of meat, sprinkle black pepper, cover with foil, and place in oven for an hour and a half.
After an hour and a half, take the okra, place in a pot and add the rest of the olive oil. Fry for about 3 minutes under medium to high heat. Add onto the meat and sauce, cover and place back in the oven for another half an hour. Place a frying pan under medium heat and add the rest of the olive oil, cilantro and chilly powder. Fry for a couple of minutes and sprinkle on top of the dish and serve hot with either rice or bread.