I also got this recipe from Gada Salamah in Montgomery/AL. I had some beautiful eggplants that I had bought from the local farmer’s market and wanted to make a dip. So, here is a beautiful dip.
You will need:
1) 2 small to medium eggplants. Take a small knife and peel the skin lengthwise in such a way that it looks like you have a striped eggplant. Then cut into thick rounds.
2) Oil for frying. I would say about 3/4 to 1 cup. I used Olive Oil.
3) 6 tablespoons of plain yogurt
4) 1 tsp of pomegranate molasses
5) juice of one small lemon
6) 2 tsp of tahini
7) 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
8) Salt to taste
9) 1 – 2 medium tomatoes cubed
10) 1 hot green chilly minced
11) 2 tblsp of finely chopped parsley
12) 1/4 of cup of walnuts roughly chopped
13) Olive Oil
Let’s start. First fry the eggplant rounds in the oil until golden brown. Place on paper towel side by side for the oil to be drained from them. Then in a blender place the eggplant and ingredients two eight. Blend and empty onto a nice serving plate. Mix ingredients 9-12 and mix in half with the blended eggplant and use the rest for garnish. Drizzle some olive oil on top and enjoy as an appetizer with pita bread. The pomegranate molasses make a huge difference in taste, so make the effort of getting some. If it’s absolutely impossible then you can do without them, but there will definitely be a difference in taste. Enjoy.